Death Certificates

Contact your state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages office – links are external

ACT –Death Certificates -;

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

QLD  Births, Deaths and Marriages -

VICTORIA Births, Deaths and Marriages -;

WA Births, Deaths and Marriages -;


Loss and Grief

National Association for Loss and Grief - grief counselling services

Lifeline - 24 hours counselling phone 13 11 14 


Legal Help

Legal guidance is available from your state or territory:

·      Legal Aid or Community Legal Centres

·      Public Trustee

·      The Law Society

Death Overseas

Each year around 1000 Australians die while overseas.  For help and information see:

·       Smarttraveller

·      consular services  -

·      AQIS – AQIS

Organ Donation

Australian Organ Donation Register is only national register for people to record their decision about becoming an organ and tissue donor for transplantation after death. 


Donate Life - The Organ and Tissue Authority (OTA) works with states and territories, clinicians and the community sector to improve organ and tissue donation and transplantation outcomes in Australia.


Government resources

Centrelink          Pensions, social security and online services - (link is external)

Veterans Affairs - Financial assistance for the funeral of a returned service person. (link is external)

Social Media and Identity

eClosure - an online service which allows grieving families to manage their social networks after a death

Funeral Costs and Services – complaints

Like all Australian businesses, funeral providers must comply with Australian Consumer Law (ACL). 

If you have any questions or concerns about a funeral provider, the first step is to speak or write to the provider.  If you still cannot resolve the problem, get information on your rights and responsibilities.

This is generally available from your state or territory Fair Trading or Consumer Affairs office.